Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Playground project

George is having some trouble adjusting to recess at his "regular" school. It is too unstructured for him, so he goes into sensory overload and starts crashing into other kids. Due to a parent complaint that the school isn't keeping her child safe from George (a whole other subject that just pisses me off completely, not one child has been hurt), I've had to pick him up before recess the last couple of days while they and I put together some new tools and routines for George.

One of them is this social story that I've made. Pretty easy to put together and I think George will like it. His other books have always been very successful at helping him remember new rules or different routines.
His teachers are creating choice cards that they can give to him out on the playground whenever he needs to be redirected to a different activity. Today is his first day back where he'll stay for recess. Someone will read this to him during snack time (just before recess), to make sure it's fresh in his mind. Also, his Autism therapist is visiting the school today to see if she can think of other equipment they can acquire that might capture his attention better.
How glad am I that we moved to this wonderful city where the resources are so incredible? Where I have an Autism therapist that responds to every question, crisis, and success with enthusiasm and advice? Where George's regular (i.e. non-special needs) preschool is willing to PURCHASE playground equipment that is better for him? Where every person we meet (excluding ignorant mommies that spy on their kids throughout the day) is supportive, helpful, and full of ideas?
Amazing.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is AWESOME :). Go George!

Anonymous said...

Wow . . . what a great book Meg!! And what a great place you live in to be able to get that kind of support!!

George will do great with support from you and the community!!

Pam said...

I am just blown away with the support and help you are getting there! Its so wonderful for both you and George! The book is amazing too, I know I always say it but I do so wish I had thought of doing that for Alex!

Karen Bowers said...

what a gorgeous project. these are so good, it makes me wish you could get these published. :)

Molly Newman said...

This project is darling--so creative, and so thoughtful. I love it!

Stephani said...

Meg your creativity ASTOUNDS me! WOW! What a very cool book. Have you ever thought of selling your books because they look so professional!!!! I am just blown away. George is so lucky to have such a cool creative Mom. I am glad the school is working with you guys. That is really wonderful. It sounds like things can only get better. Keep us updated on George's progress.

Sharon said...

That book is just awesome Meg - hope it works out. Your wee boy is such a cutie :)

Liz McCoy said...

incredible!! you're such a wonderful mommy!!!

Dave said...

What's amazing is that book. Wow.

loonyhiker said...

I've had to make a lot social stories for my students and this was wondeful! Will you let George add any pages to it? My high school students sometimes let me know that they needed a page added if I left something out. You are an awesome mom!

carin.c said...

Meg, I am AMAZED at your book - so great you can put your creativity to such special use. And apparently you were meant to end up where you are getting the support you need. Those ignorant mommies are everywhere... don't let them get to you.

Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers said...

Meg, I posted on DSP- but I love this book. I love all of the books you make for George. They are so awesome!

~Tina