Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Special Exposure Wednesday

I don't think I've ever shared George's activity schedule here. We put it into place last spring and, let me tell you, it has saved us. George (and Emma) look at it every morning and throughout the day. It's especially valuable on days that aren't routine; for instance, the entire summer!

I'm printing out new magnets today to prepare for George's new school that starts next week and ones that show us taking Emma to & from school (last year Jason took Emma most days). We have a whole refrigerator door full of these business card sized magnets that I created with Clip Art and printable magnet sheets.

They've also helped George be able to tell me what he wants to do. He often drags his stool over to the side of the refrigerator and points to the magnet that shows a desired activity. He's very excited today to see that swimming has shown back up on the schedule, it hasn't been there for the last few weeks!

Today was also an exciting day for Miss Emma, our new SECOND grader!! Though there were some nervous tears last night, this morning she ran through her chores and was grinning ear to ear as we drove off to school.

Don't you love her outfit? I wish I had as much fashion sense as my girlie girl!

She came home looking very tired, but happy. In answer to the question, "What did you do today?", she said, "Nothing." But when asked, "What was your favorite part of the day?", she answered, "Every minute!" So I guess that day full of nothing was a good one!

Don't forget to go vote! We're in second place right now!

6 comments:

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

What a great idea! Love the photos!

Beth said...

Well, I just LOVE that calendar idea. Knowing what's up on those non-standard days would be HUGE in our house!!

And tell Emma she's gorgeous!! I love the socks!! I'm going to show Katie as I know she'll want to wear a dress/skirt if she can wear big pink socks!!

cdlsva said...

Thanks for sharing the calendar schedule...I've been thinking of trying one for my daughter! Adorable photo of your little girl, they have such cute fashions at that age :-)

Frogs' mom said...

Cool calendar. Frog has never taken to visual schedules, although I could never convince the school of that because "autistic children are visual learners" so much for the I in IEP. So glad Emma's first day back went well. Diva was nervous about starting 4th grade and being a "Big Kid," but she came home happy too.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

That is a great idea! And a great communication tool too!

Anonymous said...

That is a great schedule! thank you for sharing it. I'm always trying to figure out a way to present a schedule that works for us.

Beautiful photo of your daughter!!!

(and I voted for you!)