Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Why do I worry?

Off he goes to his first day of a new special needs preschool. Is he scared? Nervous? Not wanting to leave Mommy?

Nope!

Last month, I had a really rough day after George's teacher questioned and criticized my decision to remove him from her classroom in order to attend this other school. She left me reeling in anxiety and guilt. Well, it's gone!

George often "feeds" me questions he wants me to ask him. This was our conversation on the way home today:

George: "Did you have a good day at school?"

Mom: "George, did you have a good day at school?"

G: "YES!"

G: "Did you have a good time?"

M: "George, did you have a good time?"

G: "YES!"

(About 10 minutes later, when we were almost home):

G: "Did you have fun?"

M: "George, did you have fun???"

G: "YES!"

I think it's safe to say, he likes his new school! And, when we got home and I opened up his backpack, I found this:

His wonderful new school has given George a way to communicate. By "reading" these images to me, he can tell me what he did each day. For those of you that don't have kids with low communication skills, let me tell you, this is HUGE! I was just telling my mom this morning, after dropping George off, that I so wished he was able to tell me about his day. And now, he can.

I foresee a lot of changes this year. Big ones. Exciting ones. Changes that have this mommy's heart near to bursting with anticipation. Take a deep breath with me, it's going to be a wild ride!

12 comments:

Liz McCoy said...

that is soo exciting....you knew it was the right decision and i'm so glad to hear that it was validated today!!!

And it seems like that school is soo right for him and you they know what is needed all around.

HUGS!!!

Anitza said...

I seriously got tears in my eyes reading that chart at the end. What a wonderfully ingenious way of journaling! This bodes well and I am excited for you and your family.

Dave said...

That's amazing stuff.

loonyhiker said...

What an awesome story! I know it is hard to leave an environment we are comfortable in (my hubby calls it "warm, wet, and happy") and it is hard to spread our wings and try something new (especially if you have special needs) but this is a great experience which can be remembered when new things happen in the future. It sounds like he has a caring, well trained teacher too.

Anonymous said...

What good news! I like you phrased that about your son "feeding" you sentences. Daniel does that to me too, but I didn't know how to explain it!!! That photo story sent home is AWESOME!!! I love that they've made it so he can tell you about his day! Really terrific!

Karen Bowers said...

this sounds quite wonderful, meg! what a fabulous day he had and that he told you about!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

That's fantastic that his new school is doing so good for him! Gabi's school uses those same communication pictures. I think they are great!

And PS (shhhh don't tell anyone) If my Gabi wasn't in the running for the Special Exposure Wednesday button, I would have voted for your George! I love how he squished his face up for a smile! Too cute!

Bobbi said...

Wow, that is really great. He sounds a lot like my son Parker. He does that same question thing sometimes. I found your blog from special exposure wednesday. Check mine out sometime. Glad you made the right choice about changing schools!
www.mixedblessings4.blogspot.com

Pam said...

That is such great news Meg!! I'm so pleased you have had it confirmed that you made the right decision moving his school. I am so impressed with those communication pictures, that must be just amazing for you! Alex used to do that 'Feed the questions' thing, sometimes I misunderstood what he had said and he would get so mad at me and keep repeating it, but each time it would be less clear and harder to understand! lol! Its hard to imagine now, but your post brought it all back!
Oh and little girl looks so so cute and confident in her off to school photo! Im glad things are going well for her too!

Anonymous said...

I love, love the journal. My son's preschool used lots of icons for schedules and all, but not to send notes home. I may have to suggest this to some of the teachers I am still in touch with.

I always say you have to go with your gut and do what you think is best for your child, no matter what other people say. It's hard but worth it in the end!

kristi said...

Hi! I found you thru Bobbi's blog. (mixed blessings)

My son is in 1st grade, has PDD and last year he was in a mainstream class but was pulled out for inclusion teaching.
This year, he is in a special needs classroom where the classes are smaller and he has 3 teachers. He is doing great!

Sharon said...

Great news! I could do with one of those picture sets. You get a lot more information about what goes on at school than I do (What did you do at school today?" "Nothing")