Thursday, April 13, 2006

The cure for the common cold

Sense a theme in my posts these days??? I hate being sick, because I always get sick after everyone else in my family is done being sick, and then I pass it back to the kids and the cycle starts over again. Emma told me this morning that I should go back to bed. HA! Wouldn't that be lovely? When I told her I couldn't because I had to care of her and George, she told me, "Don't worry, I can watch George, I'll put him in his room and close the door." Now there's a solution!

So I've been gathering home remedies for the various symptoms that accompany a cold. Personally, I like to drown myself in vitamin C and take zinc lozenges like ColdEze. Then the bliss of Nyquil at night. Here are some new ones I've found:

Eat garlic raw, put it in your mouth and chew. (Gross!)
Fill a glass with warm water and mix in 1 tsp of table salt and gargle several times a day. (Again, gross!)
Take a bath with a few drops of cinnamon in the bath water can relieve congestion. (Different, I've never thought of cinnamon as being especially vaporous.)
Garlic juice made by adding few drops of garlic oil to a teaspoonful of onion juice and diluting it in a cup of water is helpful for common cold. (Oh my goodness, gross!)
Drink ginger tea. It can be made by boiling ginger in normal tea. (I do like tea when I have a sore throat, although I usually use lemon/honey or a mint variety.)

What's up with all the garlic? Normally, I love garlic....On my french bread, in my spaghetti sauce, or otherwise cooked. But raw? Garlic juice? Bleh!

I'm off to have a nice cold glass of garlic oil and onion juice....um, no, maybe a glass of orange juice. I'm boring like that.

3 comments:

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

The garlic one actually works & you don't have to chew it, just cut it into pill sized pieces & swallow. It's DH's favorite cold rememdy

Gabby Faye said...

My father the pharmacist would be horrified. However, on occasion he had to make garlic pills. That was back in the days when the pharmacist MADE the medicine, not just por it from one container to the other. No cure so just make yourself comfortable. A good stiff drink will do it.

Deanna said...

ack..I would hate to smell you! LOL..hoep your feeling better my whole hosue was down for about 3 weeks this winter...I HATE COLDS!